A pontoon is a flat floating device. You can call a boat, a pontoon boat when it is flattish and depends on pontoons for floating. You can find in this article, some common terminologies you need to know before buying one.
1. Popular Pontoon Boat Brands
You can rely on brands like Lowe, Crestliner, Princecraft, Larson, Regency, Harris, Manitou and Sun Tracker to name a few.
2. General Size Range Of Pontoon Boats
You will generally find medium-sized and large-sized pontoon boats. You will see the use of 2-3 pontoons in medium-sized pontoon boats. The width varies between 8 to 14 feet and the length usually varies between 24 to 40 feet. In large-sized pontoon boats, you can find 3-4 pontoons, the width generally varies between 12 to 26 feet and the length usually varies between 30 to 70 feet.
3. Average Cost Of A New Pontoon Boat
You will see that pontoons boats, depending on the various features you are looking for, cost anywhere between 18000 US$ to 60000 US$. You may even have to spend a few more bucks on other accessories as well.
4. Advantages Of A Pontoon Boat
- You can use it as a family boat. It works perfectly because there is enough room for you to stretch on the couch and for your kids to play. It can easily accommodate up to 11-12 people.
- You can use it as a ferry boat, a fishing boat, a cruising boat or a ski boat.
- You don’t have to spend a lot of time on maintenance.
- Pontoon boats are very durable.
- Be rest assured about the safety as pontoon boats are very stable, have a lot of storage space and also very comfortable and spacious
5. Driving a Pontoon Boat
You can surely drive a pontoon boat if you manage to drive a car. Before you start driving, always check for the condition of the boat. Start slowly and after a few minutes of practice, you should be good to go. Make sure you don’t drive at very high speeds, to be on the safer side.
6. Trailer Options
If you frequently tow your pontoon boat, then then you have two options to choose from, a bunk-type trailer and a scissor-type trailer. The bunk-type trailer looks more or less like the standard boat trailer you might have seen. They are more suitable for towing and the scissor-type trailers are often used for launching and loading. You can pick a trailer that suits best for your needs.
7. Winter Care
You have to be very careful about the maintenance of your pontoon boat during winter. Clean the boat before you winterize it. Drain out any coolant stored in the engine, remove any equipment stored in the boat, clean the boat thoroughly on the inside and outside and use a waterproof cover to secure it if you are storing it outdoors.
Before you buy a pontoon boat, these are some of the important facts you should know. Be sure to give this a good read before you go out to buy one.